Introduction+Question

Subject: Introduction+Question
From: Tim Gray <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:24:46 -0400
Hi, I recently joined this group a couple weeks ago and am now sending
my introduction.  I'm an amateur at all things recording.  I initially
became interested in music recording, and started collecting gear for
that purpose, but several years ago my brother started getting
interested in soundscapes and nature recording.  While the opportunity
never presented itself to work on this (alas, he was in England and I
was in the US, both tied up with graduate school), we always kept it in
mind.  Just recently, my music recording setup moved to a bus-powered
interface + laptop, enabling me to record in locations other than the
bedroom.  While not truly portable, this setup does enable me to go out
and record stuff untethered by power cords.  I had also recently
purchased a mic pair capable of M/S.

All this came together during the week the cicadas emerged here in
Princeton.  Princeton seems to be a regional headquarters of sort for
the cicadas, and it just so happens that a large number of the cicadas
seem to be located right in my neighborhood (quite a few in the front
yard).  It seemed like a perfect opportunity to actually start in with
nature recording.  Over the past two weeks, I have recorded the cicadas
in quite a few different locations, and it has been quite fun and
educational.  Unfortunately, at this point I am tied to the laptop, so
most of the recordings were done from the car, pulled over at some
cicada infested location.  Also unfortunately, my wind protection has
consisted of the little foam screens.  Next purchase is a surely a
zeppelin-style windscreen.

This leads me to my question.  During my searches, I've seen 3
zeppelin-style windscreens.  Rycote, Sennheiser, and Lightwave Audio's.
  The Rycote system seems to be the most extensive, and is probably the
best fit for my current mics (schoeps - I should have gotten the senn
mkh's - anyone have any for sale?).  However, depending on ebay, I'd
like to move to MKH's for my M/S pair soon.

   My question is twofold.  First, for running an M/S pair of Schoeps
(or Senn MKH's), can you get by in the mono rycote screen with a double
mic clip, and if you can, is it advisable or is it completely
unsuitable?  Second, for those of you running the Senn MKH's in M/S
(which seems to be the mic of choice in this field), is the Sennheiser
blimp "better" than the Rycote system? These things seem expensive to
me and I want to make sure I get the best one for my needs.

So far this group really has been a great resource, and I hope to
contribute more in the near future.

Tim