Re: Introduction+Question

Subject: Re: Introduction+Question
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:51:01 -0700
>From: Tim Gray <>
>
>>     My question is twofold.  First, for running an M/S pair of Schoeps
>>  (or Senn MKH's), can you get by in the mono rycote screen with a double
>>  mic clip, and if you can, is it advisable or is it completely
>>  unsuitable?  Second, for those of you running the Senn MKH's in M/S
>>  (which seems to be the mic of choice in this field), is the Sennheiser
>>  blimp "better" than the Rycote system? These things seem expensive to
>>  me and I want to make sure I get the best one for my needs.
>
>Sennheiser's tend to be the mic of choice because of their extreme
>durability out in the outdoors. They have a long track record. There may
>be others, but they are certainly not known as well. And, of course, the
>sennheiser's are excellent mics as well.
>
>I run M/S in mono suspensions/zeppelans, but the current rycote won't do
>it, at least with MKH. The rycote uses a full ring suspension, and there
>is just not enough room for the combo in regular dual clips without risk
>of them hitting the ring. You would have to custom machine a clip system
>that put the mics practically touching. I have a rycote modular mono
>suspension, and studied it to death trying to figure how to work it.

Hmmmm. My Rykotes hold both the MKH30 and 40 in the ring and the
zeppelin, Walt. With room to spare and no contact with the ring. I'll
be happy to send you pix if you'd like. I've got three identical
systems and they work fine. The problem I have with Sennheiser covers
is that they're hard to disassemble and put back together in the
field because of the way they're threaded...something the company is
working on.

Bernie

--

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.