Re: Equipment stuff...

Subject: Re: Equipment stuff...
From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:52:56 -0400
My turn, guys.

So far, it seems like I'm the one having the most modest gear. I'm pretty happy
with it, but always searching for upgrades...

I have started taking nature recordings more seriously at about 1 year ago.
Before that, I was limited to a cheap microcassette recorder with its built-in
mic. Last year I got a Sony MZ-N10 MD, which I use together with a Sennheiser
ME62 mic and a homemade "parabolic" reflector made out of an umbrella. Now I'm
starting to think about stereo recordings, and at first I considered the Sony
ECM-MS957 stereo mic as a good option. But even that one is pretty expensive
for the average Brazilian: this kind of import is subject to heavy taxings,
plus the fact that earnings here are much lower than in the USA or Europe, for
example. Therefore, I am now considering the Panasonic mic capsules as opposed
to the ECM.

My goal is making experiments to get reasonable recordings with low costs. I
intend to start developing a taste for birding and nature recording on the
local communities at the remote locality where I currently live (the Pantanal
of Brazil). So, if I manage to put together recording and birding gear at low
cost, this might enable these people to ocasionally buy some stuff of their own
(or get sponsors).

I recall a post from someone (I guess from Central America) some months ago,
who was also seeking for low-cost gear to use with local communities.

Cheers,

Daniel De Granville
Pantanal, Brazil