Re: How do you collect your sound file?

Subject: Re: How do you collect your sound file?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:17:25 -0400
From: "bluemagpie2003" <>

> Now my lab is going to collect the digital sound of wildlife.
> We have collected some but not much. I found it a little trouble
> in collectiing these file well. In my opinion, it should be a
> standarized process from field work, sound processing to file
> collection, in order to manage more conveniently in the future. You
> know, something like specimen or book collection.
> What all you think about this work?

I'm assuming you mean management of recordings, not the actual process
of collecting the originals.

You do need to work out a standardized system. I number my recordings
according to year, disk for that year, track on that disk. Which could
look like 2004D007-13 in the case of one of the tracks in my osprey
recording.

That number becomes the filename, is entered on the field cards I write
when I record, is a data field in the database and so on. It ties
everything together.

I keep a three part archive. The original minidisc, a copies of the
audio file on optical disk, and a audio CD, or multiple audio CDs.

I suggest starting with what data you wish to gather. For science make
sure the location, time and so on are included. Use a GPS to get a
accurate location not dependent on changeable local names. Once you have
decided on the data, design that into a field card. Mine is on a 4 x 7
card, a compromise between convenient size and room for writing. I print
the design, which is 2 sided, the make runs of copies on card stock. I
fill out a card with each new track at the time of recording.

My database mirrors the cards, one of it's several alternate layouts is
exactly the same for easy data entry. I take full advantage of it's
capability to have pop up lists, spelling check lists and repeating
fields to minimize typing errors. The database is where you would sort
to find which recordings have a certain species, were from a specific
area and so on. Don't try and make the organization of the recordings
themselves be the sorted stuff.

The sound itself is transferred via digital streaming to the mac,
initially trimmed to the keepable parts, backed up to optical. As enough
for CD's is accumulated, I burn the audio CD's. Note that filtered or
otherwise processed copies are not part of this main chain.

> Besides, what about the copyright of sounds in  website?  How to
> share and protect your sounds simultaneously?

I don't consider that a issue. I typically record from 3 to 20 minute
recording tracks. I have the original disks. Such long recordings
cannot/should not be put up due to file size/download speed limitations
even if you wanted to. What you put up is a mp3 clip from the original,
often after some clean up or filtering. Your original is simply not on
the website. Only a limited, derived copy. You can always prove
originality with your full original.

My website is full of my photos too. Again, the original digital camera
photo is a large file and what gets up is a small, screen resolution photo.

Now I'm more interested in the teaching, educational, information
sharing aspect of the internet, not profit. I expect folks to listen to
what I put up, make copies and so on, that's what it's there for. Others
may be so interested in profit that they cannot bring themselves to put
up anything useful. Or even join the recording associations that are
busy making it harder to get decent recorders for our work. Each person
makes their own decision where they are on these issues. Decide what
your website purpose is and design accordingly. Not everything in the
world is a for profit business.