Re: Recorders that use Memory Cards?

Subject: Re: Recorders that use Memory Cards?
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
> small mp3 audio files for the pc. Compact flash (CF)
> cards are fairly cheap if they are used as temporary
> storage (as with a digital camera) and obviously they
> have ruggedness and reliability advantages since
> there are no moving parts. Thanks.

It's worth mentioning that using only consumer level gear, I've recorded
hundreds and hundreds of MDs and never had a disk fail; I don't think
ruggedness of the media is an issue. Recorder build quality will of course
range from flimsy to solid in accordance with price ~ a cheap CF recorder
will still be flimsy. I've had consumer MD decks wear out -- but never had
a drive mechanism or circuit on one fail (what's worn out in the case I'm
thinking of are the tiny switches, or the screw-on drycell battery case
some units take...).

FWIW I still use MD instead of, say, HD recorders because they're their
own archive -- I never erase anything and always have my original
recordings to fall back on. I am constantly tempted by cute CF/HD
recorders (iRiver HP-i140 for example) that will hold 40 GB of 16/44
recordings -- but I'd hate to lose that much data if something failed.

Btw my other gripe about such devices (portable HD recorders/MP3 players)
is that they all use proprietary batteries. Sometimes you're just not in a
place to recharge in the field!

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org