Re: Lake Oconee Wildlife

Subject: Re: Lake Oconee Wildlife
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:34:17 -0400
I have very good recordings of an adult doing the peeping and then switchin=
to the throaty call at the end. I was very close to this bird's nest. It is
possible, of course, that it is not an alarm call, but that was my
interpretation.

Lang

From: Lang Elliott <>

> I believe that the harsh throaty calls mean the bird is upset. Otherwise =
you
> generally just hear the peeps, chirps, or whistles.

I defer to your understanding. I've been listening to the Lake Oconee
Osprey for nearly 20 years now, and that's the first time I can remember
hearing that call. I've been a lot closer to some nests. Some are not on
tall snags and you pass by almost eye to eye. And since they are in the
snag fields, which are good fishing, you often drift in their area for
some time.

There was no sign visually of any upset. Seemed pretty normal. The call
was so unusual to me that at first I thought Squirrel Treefrog. But it
quickly became obvious it was coming from the nest. And I'm pretty sure
sometimes with no adult there. It was part of the reason I put up the
recording. Is this a chick call?

Note we were by this nest two weeks ago and stopped and listened for a
little while. That call was not there, just the usual peeps and so on.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."