Re: inexpensive sound card with S/PDIF?

Subject: Re: inexpensive sound card with S/PDIF?
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:29:20 -0000
A somewhat geeky alternative to audio card transfer which may
be worth pursuing if you have lots of tapes is an audio capable
SCSI DAT drive which can transfer at greater than realtime
speeds. These (computer tape backup drives with ROMs that
allow reading DAT audio formats) used to be extremely
expensive,  but are available  new and as remaindered or used
units, often from Silicon Graphics workstations.

I bought one several years ago for $200, but have seen them for
much less later. These can be mounted in an external or internal
SCSI housing and require a low cost SCSI interface board for
your computer. There are shareware and freeware programs
(some command line only) on the net for various operating
systems.  URLs to some of several discussions of this
approach:
http://www.btinternet.com/~big.bubbles/personal/ade/dat-dds/sof
tware.html,
http://www.zianet.com/jgray/dat/

Bill
> Thanks, Mike! I'll pass it on.
>
> 5/31/04, Mike Sengenberger wrote:
>
> >I recommended this card back in April to someone too... Not
sure if anyone
> >else has experience with it, but it works well for me. Here's
the info:

> >M-AUDIO - DiO 2496
> >
> >MRSP is $249.95. Core Sound sells it for about $180. PC/Mac
card...

> >web link:
>
>http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=33b8e11
de1ba3e296c1d7de8f4c
> >c2c3e
> >
> >manual:
>
>http://m-audio.com/images/en/manuals/Delta-DiO2496_Manua
l.pdf

> >-Mike

S/PDIF?

> >I don't know PCs, so I pass this question on to nature
recordists:

> >-Dan Dugan
> >
> >>We are members of the Nature Sounds Society and in the
process of
> >>burning some of our sounds on to CDs.  We are looking for
> >>S/PDIF-to-PC interface card that will connect from our
Tascam
> >>DA-P1 directly to our computer through a coaxial digital link.
We
> >>are presently considering a   PCI 822 audio card, but it
seems quite
> >>pricey ($370).  Do you know either of a card of comparable
> >>quality that is a lot cheaper or even a better card at a lower
price
> >>that we might use?  Also what is the latest on
watermarking? Thanks.