Re: Mid/Side technique

Subject: Re: Mid/Side technique
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:31:53 -0500
At 3:05 PM -0700 6/4/04, David Carmean wrote:
>So I'm kludging together a mid/side rig with a CAD M-179 for the side
>mic, and an AKG C480b with CK61/63/69 cardridges for the mid signal.
>I note that the rated sensitivity of the CAD is about 1/2 that of the AKG
>CK69 shotgun combo (16mV/Pa vs. 27mV/Pa).  But I also note that there's
>a similarly large difference in sensitivity with, say, the Sennheiser
>MKh 30 and 60 combo (24mV/Pa vs. 40mV/Pa).
>
>How do y'all set your levels, either while recording or in "post",
>to get what you consider the "correct" stereo image?
>
>(I'm also finding that in the "long" configuration, the CK69 + C480b is
>picking up a lot of RF interference from my balcony 400 feet up the
>side of the hills above the San Francisco East Bay area.  I'm going to try
>soldering some caps into the connector at the mic end; my MP2 preamp is
>supposed to be well filtered.)

My experience too-- side mics are often less sensitive. I use the
MP2's "HP" (M-S headphone mix) setting with relative volumes to test
mic location and the stereo imaging possibilties but then I shut it
off and proceed to saturate both channels as high as I can while I
record. More options if the stereo image is created in post. The RF
could be from numerous sources in the location you describe. If it
never goes away in that location. it could be something in the mic or
cables. Rob D.