Re: Mid/Side technique

Subject: Re: Mid/Side technique
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:58:39 -0400
From: David Carmean <>

> So I'm kludging together a mid/side rig with a CAD M-179 for the side
> mic, and an AKG C480b with CK61/63/69 cardridges for the mid signal.
> I note that the rated sensitivity of the CAD is about 1/2 that of the AKG
> CK69 shotgun combo (16mV/Pa vs. 27mV/Pa).  But I also note that there's
> a similarly large difference in sensitivity with, say, the Sennheiser
> MKh 30 and 60 combo (24mV/Pa vs. 40mV/Pa).
>
> How do y'all set your levels, either while recording or in "post",
> to get what you consider the "correct" stereo image?

I record each mic in the field set to proper levels, ignoring that they
are a "pair". In other words so the metering is even. I allow the same
pad on both.

Then adjust the stereo field by ear in post. I use MDA "Image" plugin.
Typically the ideal stereo has less side than mid for me, but it varies.

It is a problem that the side mics are usually the weaker part of the
pair and thus contribute more noise. Only one I have where that's not so
is the MKH-80 pair as M/S. Since it's the same mic for both.

> (I'm also finding that in the "long" configuration, the CK69 + C480b is
> picking up a lot of RF interference from my balcony 400 feet up the
> side of the hills above the San Francisco East Bay area.  I'm going to try
> soldering some caps into the connector at the mic end; my MP2 preamp is
> supposed to be well filtered.)

I expect you are pretty close to some fairly powerful radio
transmitters. Filtering does have limits. Check how you do in the
country first. Adding caps is going to mess with the frequency response.

You can also help by going to star quad mic cables and making sure your
ground through the cable system is intact. Make sure it really is a
balanced system. I use canare star quad cable exclusively. Only problems
I've run into have been directly under some fairly low high tension
power lines. EMF fields strong enough to get at the recorder itself.
That was with the telinga.