Re: Wisconsin in September

Subject: Re: Wisconsin in September
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:19:52 -0400
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> Southern WI during Early September0 is:
> For small birders, it is "bug eating bird" migration time.
> For big birders, It is two weeks pre center of Hawk migration.
> For campers it is usually warm and buggy.
> For "Ambience sound recordists" it is out of season.
> For "Herp recordists" there are a few tree frogs left.

So I might have a chance at Hyla versicolor? We have been unable to
demonstrate it in Georgia, though we have a hybrid gray that gives what
sounds like the same call. I'd like to come up with some H. versicolor.

> For "bugger recordists" it is prime cricket and night bug season.
> For "bots" it is one month to peak tree color.
> For "fisherman" it is time for the Muskie trophies.
>
> I recommend the Southern Kettle Moraine area. For an enjoyable area
> with nice small hills made when the last big chunk of ice stopped
> there.

I was last in the Kettle Moraine area over 50 years ago, sounds like I
remember. Any particular reason for the Southern unit over the Northern?

And what about Horicon Marsh? I'm not a great fan of large cattail
marshes down here as the frogs don't seem to care for them. But what's
there? And is there much access?

Speaking of state run things looks like there is a permit system. Extra
cost for foreign visitors like me. They are not very clear, is there a
separate per person and per car fee? Or is there a annual pass that
covers all? I already have a golden eagle to cover most fed things.

Thanks for the rundown summary, Rich.