Re: sound problems with G5 Mac computers

Subject: Re: sound problems with G5 Mac computers
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 09:48:26 +1000
Walt, Lang and other Mac users,

I haven't yet been able to find out if the Mac G5 'tweeting' problem applie=
only to the built-in sound port.  Maybe it applies only to the sound output=
.
The available information has not been clear on this.

My friend in the UK has said this:

<It is interesting that the Naturerecordists have not heard of the problem
with the G5s.  There was one article in the UK Macworld, May 2004, p 20,
entitled "G5s are creating a real buzz", and one in the May 2004 edition of
Sound on Sound magazine, which I get occasionally, on p 266, entitled "Worm
in the Apple?"  It has also been discussed on Apple's forum pages,
apparently.  Macworld picked it up from a memo to suppliers.  It only
happens with dual processors, and may be due to the power supply =AD the
single processors use a different supply.  However, some users have still
got the problem with the new power supplies, so that may be only part of th=
problem.  They describe the noise as a buzz or high pitched chirp, so
unlikely to be due to ground loops, as suggested by Apple.  It happens when
the processor changes power use, so may be solved by setting processor to
work at "highest" in the energy saving system, but this increases fan noise=
,
which is considerable.  The, presumably digital, sound may be transmitted t=
external audio devices connected by any method, but it is not clear if it i=
transmitted to sound recorded on CD.  One article suggests the problem will
not occur with future models, but I think I would want to do a lot of
research on that.  Since it probably is a problem only to people who record
sound, it may not be widely publicised, so I thought it was worth knowing
about.>

So perhaps the Mac forum (presumably on the internet) would be the place to
find out more?  Sorry that my information is rather vague but it's the best
I can manage.  If anyone can find out more, please let us all know!

Vicki Powys
Australia