Re: Cool Edit Problems

Subject: Re: Cool Edit Problems
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 01:00:34 -0700
At 01:26 AM 5/4/04 -0400,  wrote:

>Dear Cool Edit Experts,
>
>I think I should have stayed in India because ever  since I came back
>everything electronically in my recording aspirations has hit a snag. My l=
atest
>problem is that my Cool Edit Pro 2.1 will not open or save to wave files. =
The only
>choice it gives me is "Extract Audio From Video" and these are, I guess AV=
>Video (*.avi) files. I have no idea why the program started doing this and=
 have
>no idea how to make it go back to opening and saving things in WAVE format=
. I
>just installed a new sound card

<snip>

        Uh-oh. Bad Move. To keep Windows stable you need to stop installing=
 things.

        Only kidding slightly. The first thing to try is to completely unin=
stall the new sound card *and* Cool Edit, and then reinstall after a cold b=
oot. It might even be that it makes a difference in which order you reinsta=
ll, so if it doesn't work the first try, uninstall again, cold boot, and re=
install in the opposite order.
        Note: sound cards come with a lot of free software. It's possible t=
hat something there is interfering with Cool Edit. When you reinstall the s=
ound card, don't load anything but drivers. If CoolEdit works again, be hap=
py and put the free software under a martini.
        It's amazing how often this works. If it doesn't, and it only costs=
 you an hour or less of your time, then you should look for and install the=
 latest and best driver(s) for your sound card and OS. I sure hope that by =
then you will be back working properly, because the next step is - Tech Sup=
port. Aaagh!

        -- Chuck

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA