Re: how high will a mic go and 192 kHz boards.

Subject: Re: how high will a mic go and 192 kHz boards.
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:35:52 +0200
as stated by Raimund, 192 kHz sampling board may have limits, though they
can be used in many cases.
a-a filters integrated on good sound boards are not "ideal", as they don't
cut frequencies at 95.9 kHz, though they perform reasonably well by
starting attenuating at, say, 85 kHz, reaching -12 ... - 18d B or more at
the Nyquist frequency and reaching a reasonably complete attenuation at
frequencies of 105 ... 110 kHz. This means that only frequencies in the
range 96 to 110 kHz may happen to fold down - progressively attenuated - in
the range 96 to 82 kHz. Thus the range up to 80 kHz can be safely used and
only components in the range close to nyquist should be examined with
suspect. Often frequencies up to 85-90 kHz can be safely acquired if the
mic itself attenuates higher frequencies.

The LynxTwo, a PCI board, can run up to 200 kHz; its a-a filters are pretty
good and it can be safely used up to 90-92 kHz.
As soon as possible I'll check other 192 kHz devices, including the new
Roland and the Core-Sound mic2496 (despite its name it can be internally
switched to 192 kHz; in this case only the electrical SPDIF can be used to
transfer data to a laptop through the companion PDAudio CF card - please
wait for a complete report!).

Gianni

Gianni

At 10.36 12/05/2004, you wrote:
>One should note, that 192 kHz recording equipment might not be suited for
>recording any sorts of bat echolocation calls. Usually, it is not possible
>to exploit the theoretically possible maximum signal bandwidth of 96 kHz if
>there are any signal components above the 96 kHz limit (the practical limit
>is about 80 kHz). The problem is that the integrated anti-aliasing filters
>do not fully reject sound components slightly above the Nyquist frequency
>(half of the sample rate). Such high-pitched sound components (harmonics of
>bat calls may go up to 200 kHz) would be folded down to lower frequencies
>below 96 kHz. However, most audio microphones have much lower bandwidths
>(they act as an additional anti-aliasing filter), which would prevent such
>potential aliasing problems.
>
>There are special solutions for recording bat calls that use special
>ultrasound microphones and higher sample rates (up to 500 kHz). One of these
>is the UltraSoundGate system. Even if it requires a computer, it is possible
>to prepare a relatively compact unit by using a compact mini notebook PC:
>
>http://www.ultrasoundgate.com/jvcopen.jpg
>http://www.ultrasoundgate.com/jvcclosed.jpg
>
>Regards,
>Raimund
>
>Avisoft Bioacoustics
>http://www.ultrasoundgate.com

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-507874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921