Lyrebird playing a musical instrument

Subject: Lyrebird playing a musical instrument
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:51:34 +1000
Can any Naturerecordist help me with a private inquiry to which I respond
below?  TIA.

Dear Dr Milewski,

        You wrote:

> From: "Antoni Milewski" <>
> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 22:16:49 +0800
> To: "Syd Curtis" <>
> Subject: Re: on lyrebirds, from antoni milewski

> One question in the meantime: am I right in thinking that lyrebirds are the
> only non-human animals ever recorded to play musical instruments?

In considering whether any other species does so, we come into the common
situation that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  However -

In "The Vocal Displays of the Lyrebirds (Menuridae)", Robinson & Curtis