new member bio

Subject: new member bio
From: "John Piekos" <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:21:51 -0400
Hi everyone.  Seeing as I just joined this group and was nicely asked
to submit a bio, here goes:

My name is John Piekos, I'm a software engineering manager, and live
in Westford, Mass. about 40 minutes northwest of Boston. I'm totally
new to audio recordings, my only past experience has been enjoying
the quality of bootleg Bruce Springsteen concerts.

I love the outdoors and am fortunate enough to live near a large tract
of undeveloped land (a rarity in Westford, which is a high-tech suburb).
This year in particular, I have noticed A LOT of woods noise at night,
in particular, I have been hearing a great horned owl calling nightly
for a week as I go to sleep.  The thought occurred to me that it would
great to record these sounds, so I have bought a Sony MD walkman
recorder and have just ordered a stereo microphone (based on some
suggestions on this list).  I'd also like to record beach waves, that
type of stuff.  Every once in a while I get these fancies and explore
them.  A year or so ago after seeing a fox track through my yard,
I decide to get a remote trail camera to photograph wildlife.  You
can see some of these pictures at
http://www.johnpiekos.com/wildlife/trail/index.htm
Hopefully someday I will have cool audio tracks on my site as well.

John Piekos