Re: new member bio

Subject: Re: new member bio
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:54:19 -0400
At 01:21 PM 5/21/2004 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi everyone.  Seeing as I just joined this group and was nicely asked
>to submit a bio, here goes:
>
>My name is John Piekos, I'm a software engineering manager, and live
>in Westford, Mass. about 40 minutes northwest of Boston. I'm totally
>new to audio recordings, my only past experience has been enjoying
>the quality of bootleg Bruce Springsteen concerts.
>
>I love the outdoors and am fortunate enough to live near a large tract
>of undeveloped land (a rarity in Westford, which is a high-tech suburb).
>This year in particular, I have noticed A LOT of woods noise at night,
>in particular, I have been hearing a great horned owl calling nightly
>for a week as I go to sleep.  The thought occurred to me that it would
>great to record these sounds, so I have bought a Sony MD walkman
>recorder and have just ordered a stereo microphone (based on some
>suggestions on this list).  I'd also like to record beach waves, that
>type of stuff.  Every once in a while I get these fancies and explore
>them.  A year or so ago after seeing a fox track through my yard,
>I decide to get a remote trail camera to photograph wildlife.  You
>can see some of these pictures at
>http://www.johnpiekos.com/wildlife/trail/index.htm
>Hopefully someday I will have cool audio tracks on my site as well.
>
>John Piekos

WELCOME JOHN:

My brother, James Michener, lives in Westford, not far from Forge Village
(is the bridge open yet?), and I live just north of you, "over the tax
line" in Hollis, NH.  Welcome to the neighborhood, both senses.  You can
get a sense of how far overboard someone can go in nature recording, by
reading some of my web site*.

I thought I'de post you a note since everyone else on this group {who can
still HEAR} is out doors recording these days! ;^0  I am not, at the
present, doing any recording, but rather taking spring plant photographs
[OFF TOPIC] at a prodigious rate (2900 snaps in five weeks).

Great wildlife photos! - you will find the two often go hand-in-hand in
this group - digital recordings of sounds and images.  Ten years ago, you
could not convince any state officials that Fisher (in NH called
"Fisher-cats") were found anywhere south of Concord, NH!  I have seen two
within 2 miles of the Mass line since then.  Congratulations on the cool
photos!  I am surprised the Porcupine didn't eat the camera and strobe!

I send my best regards,

Marty Michener, MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
*  http://www.enjoybirds.com/

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1775