RE: Corncrake

Subject: RE: Corncrake
From: "?" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:31:07 +0200 (MEST)
> <I would agree that you don't have to care much about the quality of the
> Corncrake recordings. The self-noise performance of the microphone is not
> as
> important as in other subjects. Very often it is possible to get very
> close
> to the calling birds (certainly at night). Though, a more directional and
> low-noise microphone would be useful for more distant recording
> situations.
>
> The following sample has been recorded at a distance of a few meters :
> http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/corncrak2.wav
>

> At larger distances, the background noise level may slightly rise:
> http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/corncrak.wav>
>

> Yes Raimund but your examples here are made on a very expensive set up ar=
> they not?

Yes Martyn, the first example (corncrak2.wav) was made with a Sennheiser
MKH60, a home-made preamplifier and a SON Y TCD-D3 consumer-grade DAT
recorder. However, I'm sure that the recording wouldn't be much worse if I
used a cheaper microphone. The most important thing was the relatively shor=
distance between the microphone and the calling bird (and that it was night=
,
which made that possible). The second example (corncrake.wav) was made with
an old  Sennheiser K3/ME80, directly connected to the TCD-D3.

> Surely you have to have some care about the quality of the recordings to
> get the quality of the visual displays?

I think that it is fairly easy to record Corncrakes for individual
identification purposes. In contrast to many other birds, their calls have =
very simple structure. It is just a series of very short and noisy pulses
that can be easily recognized in both waveform and spectrographic displays=

(http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/corncrak2.gif). I assume that the
frequency spectra of the single pulses do not carry much information for
identifying individuals. The broad-band characteristics of the sound pulses
should also also be helpful for locating them in a noisy recording on a
visual spectrogram display.

Raimund