mystery sound

Subject: mystery sound
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:20:43 -0000
Well I missed another great recording.
This time by under 10 seconds after a frantic drive with the lights
off.
Trying to determine what the sound was is driving me nuts.

1. Called for 3 mins. at 3:00 AM within a remote, large wildlife area.
2. Loud, first heard at 1 mile as shown by my gps. This includes 100
yards of forest and the rest was scrub oak and water. 25+ mph wind
and the reverb could still be heard.
3. Reminds me of a call like a Long-eared Owl. About the same 3
second or so spacing and length but a bit higher pitch and a bit
more "course" or "screem like". Much louder than a Long-eared Owl
could be.
4. I made it within 100 yards of the call and found the location as
an edge of wet wetland and hardwood forest. For large mammals this
area is known to have bear, a wolf pack, fox, white-tailed Deer, and
maybe a few coyotes left that the wolf have not taken care of yet.

The sound was not repeated that night nor was any other loud sound
made in the area. I know as I set a sound trap for the next 4 hours.

Does anyone have or know of a link to the alarm call of the cougar?
This is not suppose to be in this area but I want to rule it out.=20

Rich Peet

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:19 2005
Message: 9