Beginner M/S mic recs? "Ambient" brand mics?

Subject: Beginner M/S mic recs? "Ambient" brand mics?
From: Dave <>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:18:59 -0700
Greetings,

I've been on the phonography list for a while, and recently discovered this=

group while searching for info on low-noise mics.

Basically, I'm looking for a lower cost emulation of Walt's mid-side setups=
.
I want to see what kind of results I can get with my Oktava MC-102 mics and=

a lower-cost figure-8 mic, before jumping into the deep end with MKHes.

I see that a German company named Ambient makes a small figure-8 mic design=
ed
to create a mid-side setup inside a standard zepp.  Has anyone tried this m=
ic?
What's the street price in US$?  What would be a good lower-cost shotgun
to match it?

Is the Shure VP88 of any use in low-sound ambient recording?  The self-nois=
figures look a little high. Or the A-T 825?

Any other "beginner" single-point stereo mic solutions I should look at?

Thanks!