Bat recipies

Subject: Bat recipies
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:35:07 -0800
Martyn, did you know what they're doing in your fatherland these
days? Are you guys getting enough veggies?  Here're some recipies for
bats, of all things. Always wondered what to do with them after we
recorded their voices.

Bernie Krause

http://www.abc.net.au/central/stories/s685711.htm

A slight cognitive dissonance between the whimsical recipies, e.g.:

>BATS AND BALLS
>Cook your bat whole over the coals, adding the edible
>pandanas nuts, which look
>like small balls. Flavour with a little salt.

and the death by incurable disease warning immediately below:

>WARNING
>Bats are dangerous to handle as they can carry diseases
>such as the
>fatal Lyssavirus. Bat meat must be cooked thoroughly to
>reduce the risk of
>disease. Any bites or scratches should be washed
>thoroughly with soap and water
>and you should contact a doctor or the nearest Centre for
>Disease Control as
>soon as possible. The offending bat should be sacrificed
>and placed in a freezer
>for examination by the State or Territory Veterinary
>Laboratory.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:28 2005
Message: 20