Re: eggs in one basket

Subject: Re: eggs in one basket
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:16:26 -0000
Syd Curtis wrote:

> A 2 gig card full of field recordings is
> ...a hell of a lot of "eggs in one basket"!

2GB seems like a lot of room when you're recording MP3 or ATRAC.  When
you're recording uncompressed WAV files, however, it's not much room
at all.  Recording stereo at 16/48, a 2GB card is approximately
equivalent to two 80 minute mindiscs.

I like the larger capacity card (like 1GB or 2GB) because I don't have
to remove it from the recorder on a day's session in the field.  I'm
more concerned about accidentally dropping a card along the trail
(they're smaller than a matchbook) than I am of the card malfunctioning.

The medium I worry about is the tiny hard disc.  I've had hard discs
in two portable devices die without any obvious trauma.  Thankfully,
the recorders designed to use a small hard disc (like the Marantz
PMC-670, Fostex FR-2, and Sound Designs 722) also have the ability to
use a Compactflash card.

--oryoki