Homemade parabola UPDATE

Subject: Homemade parabola UPDATE
From: "hydronium88" <>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:27:22 -0000
Sorry all for the double posting, but I was told I should be more
specific in my requests:

I am a MSc student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, AB,
Canada.  I am VERY new to bird work.  For my thesis I am exploring the
effects of chronic background noise from industrial developments on
birds in the boreal forest.  I am looking at a few possible effects of
noise on birds, including increased stress, decreased abundance, and
alterations in song.  This latter part is what I'm looking for help
on.  Last summer an article was published in Nature by Slabbekoorn and
Peet, who found that great tits in urban environments have a higher
minimum frequency of their song than rural ones.  I will be looking
for a similar effect near industrial installations.

I have two major questions that I would appreciate advice on:
1) For my recordings, I will be using a Sennheiser ME67. Of course,
the nature of my study means that I will be working in areas with lots
of background noise so I'd really like to be able to isolate a song
for a recording without too much background interference.  I would
like to make a parabola for it but after much searching haven't had
much luck finding a how-to page or info on it in this list. Can any
one give me some advice or point me to such a page?

2) I need some type of recorder that will provide high-quality
recordings that I can later analyze on a PC.  I will be lugging it
around in the field so size is also an issue.  And of course, I'm on a
limited budget.  If anyone has any suggestions for what I should be
using, please let me know.  I know that this is a very contentious
topic!

Thanks again,

Lucas Habib
University of Alberta