newbie field recording question

Subject: newbie field recording question
From: "Qua Veda" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:53:09 -0700
Hi,
I just joined the list today. I'm thinking about getting gear to use
occasionally to record CD quality nature sounds, and found sounds, to
use behind music that I record on my PC at home.  I believe that I'd
need .wav format to transfer to my PC (using Sonar).

I'd like something easy to use, very portable. It won't get a lot of
use, so it would be ideal if I could use the recorder as an mp3 player.
Perhaps a small hard drive recorder and a stereo mic (e.g. Rode NT4).

Can you suggest some products that I might find, new or used, for under
$700?

Thanks,
-Qua