[no subject]

From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:29:23 -0300
Hi Everyone,

After a long time away from the internet, I'm kind of online now. I say
"kind of", because the connection (dial-up) is extreeeemely sloooow.
But
broadband
is on the way, and should be available within some weeks!

As I have mentioned in one of my last posts some weeks ago, I am now
managing a research and ecotourism facility in the Pantanal of Brazil.
And
using my spare time to try and develop some nature recording skills.
Now
that
I have a more proper gear, I'm really enjoying this stuff, but still
having
some trouble
on transferring files to my computer.

I am basically using a Sennheiser ME62 mic mounted on a homemade
parabolic
(a US$ 1.50 umbrella - thanks to many of you for the tips and tricks on
setting this up!) and recording with a Sony MZ-N10 MD recorder. The
results
have been quite satisfactory, but I do have some questions regarding
this:

1) Is there any other way to control the volume input, besides MS
Windows'
mic volume controls, when transferring the sounds analogically to the
hard
disk using Cool Edit Pro?

2) Which Cool Edit's filters have you guys been finding more
successful on
reducing background hiss without affecting the target sounds too much?
I've
tried some like "Noise Reduction", but maybe I'm not doing this right,
because I seem to be affecting the main sound more than I wish. Can I
find
these
kinds of tips on dealing with Cool Edit somewhere on the web?

3) Does anyone know if there is a way around my Sony MD recorder's
default
setting of "Rec Level"? I prefer using "Manual", which means that I can
change the rec level while recording, as opposed to "Auto". Problem is
that,
every time that I stop the recorder, the setting goes automatically
back to
"Auto", and then I have to scroll through the whole menu again in
order to
set it back to "Manual". A real pain in the ass and time consuming in
some
occasions.

I guess that's all for now. Thanks to everyone.

Daniel De Granville
Pantanal, Brazil