Re: Re: Cool Edit etc.

Subject: Re: Re: Cool Edit etc.
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:12:47 -0500
At 10:57 AM 3/23/2004 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi Vicky and everybody,

snip!

>Cheers, still waiting for tips on Cool Edit Pro :o)
>
>Daniel De Granville
>Pantanal, Brazil

Dear Daniel:

Great location and project.  How are the hyacinth macaws?

The "tips" are mostly there, all in the archives.  They represent probably=

more than 5000 hours of typing. This is mainly a group of self-teachers, so=

just fool with CEP for a while.  Learn what you can. Watch the names of the=

tool-tips that pop up when your cursor hovers over each of the countless
icons in the tool-bar.

Look up the types of sound files if you are new to it, and never save
anything as an "only copy" as a file type that looses information - like
any that say ADPCM in the descriptor or mp3.  Stick with PCM types like WAV=

or AIFF file types.

Get your Yahoo ID and password squared away up front, avoid the lost
feelings expressed so well on this group in the last week. ;-(

To every student of a new software - many things are obvious and many seem=

obscure. The problem is no two people share the same grouping of these
matters.  So, perhaps some person in the second day will discover stuff I
have never figured out in eight years, by making analogies with other
software they have recently used.  HI-FI hobbyists will have one approach;=

engineers another; photo editors a third; scientists still another.   There=

is NO accounting, as they say.

Our experience on this group has been -- ASK and it shall virtually rain
information.  But, please, you gotta ask more specifically. It would take
at least two hundred pages to do justice to the aspects of CEP many of us
use daily.

So, go to the archives, search on CEP or Cool edit pro.

I can give you five examples regarding CEP usage I have posted right off
the bat, but that would take most of a day for me to repeat all that:

May 14, 2002
October 20, 2002
August 27, 2003
August 31, 2002
September 1, 2003.

NB: The usage of these archives is a little bizarre until you get used to
it. [previous] and [next] refer not to the messages within each month, but=

to the messages within the entire span of message numbers, from one
to  13322. So in order to find my message # 10780 on Sept 1, 2003, you
actually have to click on September 2003, then click [previous] because it=

is actually tacked onto the end of August.  If you hit [first] or [last] be=

prepared to go to the first or the last message ever.

That should get you started - from there please ask more for specifics.

I send my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.
P. O. Box 269,
Hollis, NH      03049

Graminoids - a new book for naturalists who have never been able to
identify sedges and grasses.
http://www.enjoybirds.com/HomePublishing/PubHome.htm#gram