Re: Metadata

Subject: Re: Metadata
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:46:32 -0000
I am not the person to follow here as my Hard Drive has been a mess
since the last one crashed. But,

1. If the recording is a minidisc.  I archive using the LNS
convention plus add text of location at the end that can be striped
when posted to another source.
041222 Crex Meadows WI ambience of waterfowl at night.wav
Translated Minidisc recorded in 2004. It is the 12th disc of the
year. This is the 22nd track and then the description.
Initially the entire disc is downloaded without track info which is
broken down and added with time.

2. If recorded direct to Hard drive I currently am using:
03272004A Crex Meadows WI ambience of waterfowl at night.wav
Translated it was recorded on March 27th, 2004 and is track A of from
mono to 8 tracks currently possible.

3. If it is an edited species sound then I am using:
0452A Snipe full flight display.wav
Translated it is AOU species 452 and is a Grade A recording which
means no major defect and S/N usually over 45db. Grade A is also
measured against if it will likely beat common published CD examples.
Grade B is of value with some defect and it is what is often seen on
commercial CD's. Grade C is a poor example but its all I got.
I also would like to find species numbering for frogs and bugs but
don't have it.

4. If it is an edited Ambience it just is saved with a descriptive
name.

Ok, help me here and give me some advise as to how to make this
better more workable system.

Rich Peet

--- In  Lang Elliott <>
wrote:
> Let's talk about file naming conventions.
>
> There are so many different options. The big collections such as
MLNS (Lab
> or Ornithology) and BLB (Borror Lab of Bioacoutics) simply give each
> recording a number based on when the recording was archived. That
number is
> tied to a relational database. Numbers can generally reflect when a
> recording was made (=3D low numbers were made in the beginning of
one's
> recording  career, while the highest numbers are more recent
recordings).
> The advantage of using a simple numerical system is that filenames
will
> always be quite short. Who among us would ever exceed 99999
recordings in
> their collection?
>
> One can also name recordings by date. For instance, "950612_1"
could mean
> this is the first recording made in 1995 on May 12. The reason to
place the
> 95 first is that if all recordings were stored in one place, they'd
all line
> up by date, which could be useful.
>
> Another technique might be to use species codes, such as the
accepted four
> letter codes for birds. SCTA_1 would be recording number 1 for
Scarlet
> Tanager. The problem with using codes like this is that things get
> complicated when one adds frogs, insects, and mammals. One can run
into code
> conflicts very easily.
>
> In cases where one's recordings may end up in another collection,
it might
> be important to add a recordist identifier at the end, such as the
following
> for Lang Elliott: "950612_1_LE". But now we're running well beyond
the
> 8-digit limit mentioned by Marty. But is the 8-digit limit
important these
> days?
>
> Not worrying about the length of a file's name allows for an animals
> complete common name to be used: "scarlet tanager_1". But this gets
a little
> unweildy at times: "Greater Angle-winged Katydid_1". The nice thing
about
> using a common name (or a scientific name) is that content is
immediately
> apparent from the file name itself.
>
> But then what does one do with soundscapes, or mixed choruses?
Maybe "mixed