Re: upgrading the MD front end

Subject: Re: upgrading the MD front end
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:54:14 -0600
At 12:50 AM +0000 2/29/04, jessehammons wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've got my Core Sound mic2496 pre-amp and hope to take it for a spin
>outside tonight when it gets quiet.  My initial tests (with Rode NT1-A
>mics) show a dramatic improvement over my existing MD setup (and given
>the price, I would certainly hope so).  From what I can tell, the
>mic2496+nt1-a rig essentially has about the same gain as my cheap
>microphones using the Sharp MT-770 mic input.  In fact, I think my HD
>mic input has a bit higher maximum gain.  However, The noise floor of
>the mic2496+nt1-a is much lower, as expected.
>
>But I'm now understanding what people were telling me about trying to
>get a mic pre with as much gain as possible.  The mic2496 spec
>indicates it will do up to 53dB of gain.  To record these quiet scenes
>I seem so drawn to it would be nice to get that 60dB+ gain that other
>preamps offer.

Lower gain in conjunction with more pre noise. I've read that the
Equivalent Input Noise for the Mic2496  is  -111 dBu. The MP-2 is
considerably quieter ~ -128 dBu, right below the noise of the NT1A's.

>  The Sound Devices MixPre will probably be my next test
>subject.  66dB of noiseless gain would allow me to record scenes that
>are 2-4 times quieter than the I can get with the mic2496.
>
>The MixPre is described as having up to 66dB of gain, but
>unfortunately this is only when using the "line"  (XLR) output.  When
>using the "tape" output, the gain is only 56dB.

I'm pretty sure you'd get the same maximum gain from the mic inputs
using the unbalanced output.

>My other question is the quality of the A/D on the line input.  Is an
>output "pro" A/D really going to make than much of a difference when
>recording low SPL scenes?

A->D quality shouldn't be a major concern going to ATRAC MD. For low
level sounds, my guess, in order or impact, (1) Mic (2) pre (2)
24bits (4) A=>D.

>  I would like my system to have a lower
>self-noise than my micropones, which in these case is 5-6dB(A) for the
>Rode NT1-A mics.
>
>I do like the mic2496.  It's a small unit, the batteries are
>convenient (a single 9 volt, easily replaceable), and the optical
>digital output goes right into my MD's optical input.  But I fear that
>the 53dB gain just won't be enough for recording really low levels.
>
>Any suggestions?

There's $1400 for a Lunatec V3/ Apogee MiniMe to get 60dB gain/low
noise and digi in. You may decide to join the "wait to see the 722
club"-- the Sound Devices pre/24bit a-d/hd recorder for $600 more.
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department