Re: Galapagos/Rio Napo Ecuador trip summary

Subject: Re: Galapagos/Rio Napo Ecuador trip summary
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:22:40 -0800
We did visit several places, John, and did not find the types of
unaltered habitats you mentioned, unfortunately...at least not for
recording biophonies. While we could have got good single species
(bird) recordings with a parabolic dish or shotgun mic, that is not
what our work is about since the biophony of whole habitats remains
our specialty and the mic system we use covers a very wide area.
Also, this is my first trip to the region and to be fair, we were
southeast of Tena about 25km for only five days at a place called
Ali=F1ahui which hardly represents a definitive overview of the region,
as I surely must agree. Perhaps there are other places (which we'd
like to know about if you have the info). Like the description of the
three blind men and the elephant, none were within our purview on
this trip. I'm sure you are right in that very good habitats still
exist. However, we found precisely what I reported however distorted
and limited the description may seem to others.

Over the past 35 years, I've spent a great deal of research and
recording time in the Amazon basin from Peru to Manaus and regions
north and south as well as several tributaries. I can tell you, for
certain, that over 30% percent of my soundscape archive comes from
what I would call either seriously altered or extinct habitats...most
from the Americas.

Currently, we're working on the prospects of a long range research
project similar to the recent study we did for the Nat. Park Service
that would bring us back to Darwin Station and environs for an
extended period and where we could get beyond the "petting zoo"  of
the Galapagos you so aptly describe. If and when that happens, we'll
give the Rio Napo yet another try.

All best,
Bernie

--