Re: Best Possible

Subject: Re: Best Possible
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:30:29 -0800
Raimund, you wrote,

>I would like to add another concept: Select the components of your
>recording equipment in such a way that the quality levels of all
>components fit together. So it would probably not be wise to combine
>a cheap $20 microphone with a high-end recorder or expensive
>Sennheiser MKH series microphones with a recorder that is not able
>to reproduce the microphone output signals appropriately.

I beg to differ, based on my eary field recording experiences with
simple Sony mono cassette recorders in the late 60s. The microphone
quality makes much more difference to the quality of the result than
anything else. If you can afford it, an expensive mike with a cheap
cassette recorder will make much better recordings than a cheap mike
with a cheap cassette recorder.

The pro windscreen runs the cost up a lot, but you can build your own.

-Dan