Re: How do I record my own voice as a naturerecordist?

Subject: Re: How do I record my own voice as a naturerecordist?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:50:25 -0500
From: "Greg Winterflood" <>

> To keep on the 'naturerecordist' subject - I am wanting to know the
> best way of recording my own voice, using the equipment I have and
> spending the least amount for the modification.

> Anyway, I have a PMD222 and an AT-815b...
>
> Apart from using the built in mike on the tape recorder, I would
> really like an extension mike that I can SIT BACK, RELAX, AND ENJOY
> THE MOVIE (and record myself for posterity!)
>
> Any suggestions on the best mike set up for this situation?
>
> Money is no object; but the cheapest tenderer wins!

How about what you have? Should be cheap enough, maybe need a longer
cable if you don't have one. Remember, a shotgun mic was originally
designed for recording actor's voices on a set. The directionality cut
out some of the other noise of the set. Stick a long cable on the mic,
place it a little ways away, and pointed so it does not pick up the fan
on the projector too bad. And relax in front of it and have at it.

Once that's done you can really get carried away and make multimedia
CD's of it all. My father has been doing that with his collection for
all of us for when he's gone.