omni-directional mic

Subject: omni-directional mic
From: Matteo Trisoglio <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:36:11 +0100 (CET)
Dear all,
I just started with the world of sound recording, I have a Sharp Minidisk and a
little stereo mic. At the moment I'm having some good fun recording city birds
and sound like people passing, wind, sea...
I read also some e-mails of the group but I'm rather lost with all these
surrounding records, parabolic mic,ecc.
My question is simple: when should I use a directional mic rather than an
omni-directional one? Mind that my budget is limited, at the moment I'm quite
dummy and I don't dare to buy expensive stuff before having tried the basic
ones.

Thanks a mil,
Matteo