Re: Hi-MD recorders

Subject: Re: Hi-MD recorders
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:29:09 -0600
>From: Aaron Ximm <>
>>

>>>Though I see little interest in actual field recording in what people
>>>are talking about regarding it in this list. So, maybe sony understands
>>>their customers.
>>

>>  Depends on your type of recording ~ for me, maximizing storage,
>>  portability, battery life, and fidelity in a cheap consumer format are at
>>  the heart of the kind of recording I do: carrying gear for a month or
>>  more, often in places where recharging batteries is not an option, stealth
>>  is essential, etc.
>>
>>  Also, for the kind of work I do, I tend to do large amounts of tranfering
>>  at a time and anything approaching even USB speeds would be a real boon...
>>
>>  In these respects, this has the potential to dramatically improve my
>>  working conditions both in the field and in the studio...
>>
>>  ...though I would be the first to admit I'm probably more than a standard
>>  deviation out on the curve...
>
>With my emphasis on the recording front end, practicality, determining
>the worth of equipment in actual field use, I often get the feeling I'm
>much more than just a standard deviation out of the curve in, maybe a
>different direction. The end of the input and field use for this new
>recorder seems to be getting pretty little discussion, while the
>transfer of already recorded material gets the lion's share. So you are
>not as far out in this group as you think. The group is much more
>indoor/studio recordists and much less nature recordists out in the
>field than it was when founded.
>
>If anything, the more I learn, and the more I concentrate on quality
>recording, the less hours of recording I produce per year. In spite of
>all the landmark (for me) things I managed this last year, my total
>production ran just over a dozen MD's. Though some of that was that I
>did almost no survey work. And was occupied a lot with non-nature
>recording tasks.
>
>To me the real point of this new development is in what it means about
>the future of MD, not what the first round of machines are like. Sony
>has put a lot of development money into this, they don't do that without
>expecting to get it back. That means MD will be with us for some time
>yet. And combine that with Fujitsu moving ahead with improving the 3.5"
>MO disks and the MO disk format looks in less danger than it did a
>couple years ago. Though hardly safe.
>
>It also is, to a certain extent, a backing off from the solid state
>memory chips Sony has been focusing on. I was fully expecting that their
>replacement for MD would be a memory stick recorder. Sony tends to lead
>and others follow, so the future may not be as cut and dried as it seemed.
>
>Walt

I was surprised too. In portables supporting electronic file
transfer, MD becomes a more competitive "removable" medium maybe only
surpassed by larger capacity ide drives that can be taken out and
mounted on a pc/mac. What else is lackiing?--preamp quality, 24bit,
additional record channels? And the option of non compressed is a big
plus. Not sure I agree there are more and more inside recordists on
the list, maybe more start up recordists with less experience
outside?  Hi-MD is looking like a solid starter investment and that's
big for outdoor interests. Rob D.
--
Rob Danielson
Film Department