Thanx Vicki: Cicadas

Subject: Thanx Vicki: Cicadas
From: "Greg Winterflood" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 05:29:57 -0000
--- In  Vicki Powys <>
wrote:

> PS there's a good web site for Aussie cicadas, take note Greg!
Lindsay
> Popple has excellent pictures and sounds for many species.  Click
on the
> link:
>
> http://www.zen.uq.edu.au/entomology/ins-info/
>
> Thanks for the link Vicki.  Our local guy and girl is Thopha
Colorata.  Some people say the "M" shape on the thorax is the
McDonalds Double Golden Arch but I prefer to see it upside down as
as "W" and so have adopted this species as part of my Aboriginal
dreaming.

The cicadas are still drumming as I type but their numbers have
diminished and there are less dead ones around my outside lights in
the morning.

Haven't had a chance to edit my tape recordings (Xmas, New Year,
Silly Season, New House) but a quick look at the Audition .wav file
seems to show that they can get up to 21kHz.  No wonder they drive
some people crazy!

Thanks again for the great link.

Out of interest, I spent some time co-located with the Entomology
Dept at the University of Queensland.  I was in the Philosophy
Department and it was in the Joh Bjelke-Petersen era.

I think the idea was to put the Philosophy Department as far away as
possible from any Department which might be open to "cross
pollination" of political ideas.

At night - after smoking some dope - I would open up the trays of
fluorescing insects in the Entomology Department and have a great
visual time of it.

Of course I'm talking about things that happened 30 years ago!

All the best to you and the group for the New Year.

Greg