Re: Hi-MD recording modes

Subject: Re: Hi-MD recording modes
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:47:15 -0000
Rob D wrote:
>...do we know whether Hi-MD recorders will mount
> via usb on a pc to the extent that one can
> drag a recording to the pc?

Yes, at least some Hi-MD recorders can be attached via USB to a Mac
or PC.  When attached, the Hi-MD disc appears as a drive on the
computer desktop.  Files of any type can be transferred to and from
the Hi-MD disc.

What's still a question in my mind is the speed of the USB
connection.  It seems silly to create a new product without support
for USB 2.0.  But Sony's web pages never say "2.0," only "USB."  The
Hi-MD design supports a data throughput of almost 10Mbits per
second.  That's within the USB 1.1 design parameters, but in practice
1.1 rarely goes faster than 4Mbits.  So it's likely, but not assured,
that the Hi-MD uses USB 2.0.

I am *WAY* too interested in this new product. I apologise for the
frequent posting, and will shut up for a while.

--oryoki