Re: Hi-MD recording modes

Subject: Re: Hi-MD recording modes
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:11:52 -0500
From: "oryoki2000" <>

> Rob D wrote:
>
>>>...do we know whether Hi-MD recorders will mount
>>> via usb on a pc to the extent that one can
>>> drag a recording to the pc?
>

> Yes, at least some Hi-MD recorders can be attached via USB to a Mac
> or PC.  When attached, the Hi-MD disc appears as a drive on the
> computer desktop.  Files of any type can be transferred to and from
> the Hi-MD disc.
>
> What's still a question in my mind is the speed of the USB
> connection.  It seems silly to create a new product without support
> for USB 2.0.  But Sony's web pages never say "2.0," only "USB."  The
> Hi-MD design supports a data throughput of almost 10Mbits per
> second.  That's within the USB 1.1 design parameters, but in practice
> 1.1 rarely goes faster than 4Mbits.  So it's likely, but not assured,
> that the Hi-MD uses USB 2.0.

It's all in what you are buying. If you are buying this as a field audio
recorder, then 1.1 is probably just fine. If you are buying it as a
external disk drive, then even 2.0 is too slow. But, as a external disk
drive it's more expensive than buying a 3.5" optical drive, and you can
get that in 2.3gig.

> I am *WAY* too interested in this new product. I apologise for the
> frequent posting, and will shut up for a while.

You have plenty of time to speculate. At the bottom of the sony
announcement it says the disks won't be available until April.

All shall become clear in time. Remember how much everybody expected out
of NetMD? And how little it turned out to offer of use to a recordist?
Don't be too mad if all you imagine turns out to not be so.

Remember, the key to a good field recorder is in the inputs and pre's.
That end sounds mighty thin. At least in what they are talking about.
Though I see little interest in actual field recording in what people
are talking about regarding it in this list. So, maybe sony understands
their customers.