Re: Happy New Year everyone

Subject: Re: Happy New Year everyone
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:04:19 -0000
I went in search of the New Year's party and the best gathering I
could find in this city was at a small pond that is the last open
water in the area.  About 1000 ducks using it and one little boy with
4 loaves of bread.

I gave up trying to edit the city out of this recording of city ducks.
just dem ducs
1.5 meg download
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/1-1-04.mp3

Rich

--- In  Vicki Powys <>
wrote:

> At first light here in Australia, summertime, 1st January 2004, the
Razor
> Grinder cicadas began their usual roaring, and I went out and
recorded them
> from my front verandah.
>
> This is a species of cicada that choruses at dawn and dusk.  They
chorus in
> unison, starting soft then gradually reaching a crescendo then
slowly
> subsiding again; each cycle lasts about half a minute I guess.  Not
> beautiful sound, but a spectacular and fascinating one.  A few
birds tried
> to chime in but it was hard to hear them over the din of the
cicadas.

> What a contrast to last summer's drought when all was silent.
>
> The sound of cicadas always makes me think - another scorcher
coming up!
> Maybe it will reach 40 degrees C today, that's quite hot.
>
> Happy New Year to you all, say the cicadas!
>

> Vicki Powys
> Capertee Valley, NSW
> Australia
>
> PS there's a good web site for Aussie cicadas, take note Greg!=20
Lindsay