Re: Stinky plastics.

Subject: Re: Stinky plastics.
From: Bret <>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:25:21 -0800 (PST)
I have been curious about 'stinky' plastics since I was a child and
noticed that some ball point pen plastics had a nasty smell.  In the
1970's I purchased some Xcelite nut drivers that had the same stink.

My best guess is that the plastic that stinks is cellulose acetate
butyrate. It is used for tool handles.   Butyric acid is said to smell
like rancid butter (hence the name), others say it smells like vomit, I
always thought it was like a mix of smelly feet and another stinky body
part, well I don't want to be too graphic.

Ripe Ginko Biloba fruit contains enough butyric acid to make it stink
when squished (and be called the stinkbomb tree).

According to
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0BFU/11_88/96193793/p1/article.jhtml
'The main odor-causing ingredient in vomit is butyric acid
([C.sub.4][H.sub.8][O.sub.2]). Although most people find the odor
offensive, some people say it smells like strong cheese. "The same
chemical that makes vomit smell so repulsive," Dalton said, "makes
people who like strong cheeses swoon with delight."'

According to
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sci/chem-faq/part6/section-4.html
for cellulose acetate butyrate  "cutting thin slivers results in smooth
sliver ( thermoplastic ), when dropped on a hard surface will 'thud'
rather than ring, and slivers will burn and smell like rancid butter.

My 25yr old xcelite nut drivers still stink, but probably a bit less
than when new.  Maybe I have just grown accustomed to their smell.

bret