RE: A band of Common Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) -- or House Spa=

Subject: RE: A band of Common Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) -- or House Spa=
From: "Dominique Laloux" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:00:46 +0100
rrows ?? -- in the garden

Hi Doug,

You are the second listener to make the same comment about the recording
!
House Sparrows where my first impression as well, when I recorded them.
I could not see them, only hear them. But it was obviously a band of
several dozens. However, to my knowledge, such bands of House Sparrows
are not common in our region anymore (I have not seen one for at least
10 years !) So I just left the recording aside for a while...

Last Sunday, as the band was there (it had been on most days for a
while), I was able to see some of them take off. The birds I saw where
Starlings. That changed my mind about what I had recorded a week before,
and I assumed they were Starlings... But a member of a local ornithology
group made the same comment you made after listening to the recording.

So, I wonder if I have been confused by the presence of 2 flocks -
perhaps on the same days, perhaps on consecutive days. One of the 2
flocks having been there for many days... However, snow came down a few
days ago, and the birds seem to have been either less noisy or absent.
The snow is now gone, temperature is rising again, and I am hoping they
will be back over the weekend, so that I can investigate this further.

Thanks for your help !

DL