Re: equipment..

Subject: Re: equipment..
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:24:13 -0000
I did a little checking for you.

I held a microphone up to the belly of a Monk Parakeet (aka Quaker
Parrot),(aka Henry).  This was to see how loud these little guys
hearts are and at what frequency.  Henry did not mind as he enjoys
playing under towels.  I noted most of the heart sounds to be between
150 cycles and 800 cycles.  It also was seen as loud enough for a
standard microphone capsule.  If you want to build a probe into the
nest from below and mount the mic cable to the bottom of the tree for
connections whenever you want it can be done with standard
components. Sample rate does not need to be greater than 2,000 bps
mono. I would recommend that you use a mic capsule from hearing aids
as they are about .1 inch.  Then the problem becomes how to
waterproof the capsule.  Plastic wrap should still work fine without
loss of to much gain.

To listen to Henry's heart download the small 64kb file at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/henryheart.wav

To check into hearing aid mic capsules go to:
http://www.knowleselectronics.com

Good luck, and post us some sounds when you get them.

Rich Peet

--- In  Yuri Vladimir Albores

mes. http://net.yahoo.com.mx