Re: Walt's Frogs CD

Subject: Re: Walt's Frogs CD
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:10:45 -0500
From: Aaron Ximm <>

> A comment and a question...
>
> I had the good fortune of hearing part of Walt's 'Call of the Wild' CD at
> the Nature Sound Society listening salon this past weekend, and have to
> say, it was quite wonderful. In particular, we were listening to what I
> believe is the second part of the CD, consisting of un-narrated
> choruses... they really filled the room right up!  So congratulations,
> Walt, very inspiring, as others have said.
>
> (It's worth mentioning that the evening was full of great listening, it
> really made me thankful to live in the vicinity of so many other dedicated
> recordists...)
>
> So the *question* is, if I want to order a few copies, do I still need to
> mail a check to the GA DNR/WRD... or are there other outlets?  (Are there
> still copies available?)

It's in at least it's second printing and is intended to be a continuing
thing. I'm sure it will eventually be revised, and am on the prowl for
more frogs to record. I've not talked to them about it lately, but they
were organizing the second printing in September. At that time they did
not have enough left for any kind of wholesale distribution, but I'm
sure they do now. The only plans I know of for buying it elsewhere are
in Georgia, where it was to be stocked in the state park's stores and
such like once the 2nd printing was done. There is a wholesale price, so
any store could buy a stock from them for resale. Contact them on that.

The info page is here:
http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=313

If you have any problem getting a copy, check with me. I'm sure I can
arrange it. I have a few extra copies here.

The rather restricted method of sales has to do with what a individual
state agency can do here. Other methods were available, but would have
put the money in the state general fund, not back where it will help the
non-game research program. Even the CD's going to state parks will only
return them the wholesale part.

It's nice to hear that the CD is liked. The second part of the CD is a
series of individual short tracks that are crossfaded so they merge
together like one long track. It is in seasonal order, so different
species come and go more or less as they do in nature. Not all species
of Georgia's frogs are in that long chorus, but a fair few are. All
species are in the narrated ID section. Id info on what's in the long
chorus is provided in the booklet.