Re: An exercise in noise reduction

Subject: Re: An exercise in noise reduction
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:39:38 -0800

>Can anyone recommend any other sets of files for editing practice?
>
>Incidentally, these sounds, isolated or not, would be fantastic for
>that Halloween ambiance. Playing them out the front window of your
>home will be a sure way to keep the youngsters at bay! I found
>Slowdown to be particularly disturbing.

A couple of thoughts: Having done adaptive-predictive-deconvolution
(noise reduction) with a special type of system for criminal defense
work comprised of undercover tapes, the most difficult types involved
recordings made around rushing water (like a loud faucet in the
background) competing with dialog. Other tests might include the
extraction of (desired) dialog from traffic noise or TVs in the
background. If any system works with those types of issues, you've
got a winner.

Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536