Re: Plesiomorphic, vs the AOU; [set rant on]

Subject: Re: Plesiomorphic, vs the AOU; [set rant on]
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:55:14 -0700
At 05:38 PM 10/30/2003, Syd wrote:
>Now there are two species of lyrebirds (and two only, apart from a fossil)=
,
>clearly closely related.  They both use the same intense alarm call - an
>extremely loud, ear-piercing shriek.  On rare occasions I have walked arou=
nd
>some obstacle blocking the view and come face to face with a lyrebird.
>Believe me, that shriek gives one a hell of a shock.  I can well imagine i=
>causing a predator to pause for just that fraction of a second the lyrebir=
>needs to escape.
>
>I wonder if Menura tyawanoides (the fossil species)  was their plesiomorph=
ic
>ancestor?  Bit hard to tell from one petrofied leg bone, what its alarm ca=
ll
>sounded like.
>
>Anyway, the situation seems to fit what Doug and Marty are on about ... or
>am I assuming plesiomorphologicality (what a lovely word!) where none
>exists?

I think you can assume that the alarm call (and alarm calls are often
plesiomorphic, because they serve such a base purpose) is plesiomorphic and=

that some ancestor of these two species also used that call. It is unlikely=

that the same call would arise in two species. Of course we could now
discuss allopatry vs. sympatry...Marty?

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA