Re: birds in Central Australia

Subject: Re: birds in Central Australia
From: "Greg Winterflood" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:18:03 -0000
--- In  Vicki Powys <>
wrote:

> I guess you mean the Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, it's a real
favourite of mine
> too with those wonderful gurgling melodious calls that always
remind me
> (nostalgically) of camping trips to Central Australia.

Yep, that's him. Ears, cheeks...my anatomy must be rusty!

> >Another ambition is to
> > capture the amazing take-off whirr of the Spinifex Pigeon
(Geophaps
> > plumifera) and translate it into MP3 and maybe put that up on the
> > web.

I reckon I'd like to give Rich's 'el cheapo' stereo-mike-project a
go capturing the whirr of the Spinifex pigeon. I can nearly hear the
whirr-whirr-whirr now going from one side of the plexiglass to the
other. (I think we call that stuff Perspex?? - Maybe there is a
difference??)

> good luck!

I'll need it.

Thanks Vicki

Greg

 16/10/03 8:47 AM, Greg Winterflood at  wrote:

> > Dang, the Gods have made a strike.
> >
> > I knew I was going against the grain when I got a cassette
> > recorder.  I could tell. I understood the messages on the bush-
> > telegraph....MD is the way to go....MD is the way to go....MD is
the
> > way to go........md
> > is...the...way...to...go.......md...is..th..wa..t..g..
> >
> > But me, being me, decided that cassette tape was the way to
start.
> > So I got a Marantz PMD222 and have been surprised with the
results I
> > am getting from it, especially when combined with a 'Tryout'
version
> > of Adobe Audition 1 (which I plan to purchase when my 30 days
trial
> > runs out).
> >
> > During the day the Spiny Eared Honeyeater (Acanthygenys
fufogularis)
> > has become my musical favourite.  He sings all around town.  By
> > comparison the White Plumed Honey Eater (Lichenostomus
penicillatus)
> > seems somewhat laconic.  In fact there seems to be an irruption
of
> > the Spiny Eared which has displaced the White Plumed.  The White
> > Plumed might be an excellent morning rouser; but the Spiny Eared
> > stays the distance during the day, and offers excellent recording
> > opportunities.
> >
> > Can this get better, I asked myself??
> >
> > Then the Gods made their strike.
> >
> > The little triangular red LED above the Record Level control on
the
> > PMD222 is supposed to come on when the machine is in Record Mode.
> > It died.  I think I saw it flare and then go out yesterday
afternoon
> > when I was recording an overload of galahs (Cacatua roseicapilla)
> > chewing the tops off the eucalyptus trees next door.  The present
> > climatic conditions in Central Australia are the nearest
> > approximation we have to "Spring".  Flowers are blooming, birds
are
> > nesting, hayfever is rife.
> >
> > Like (as the adolescents say) how many times does a brand new
LED do

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/