Clear Channels, Cheap Stereo Mic

Subject: Clear Channels, Cheap Stereo Mic
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:56:40 -0000
I have not posted a cost saving design lately so I thought I would.
I still sandbagged a few more for some other time.  I have not
stopped building.

But here is a great project under $15.00 if you can find the
plexiglass.  Most of the electronics were mounted and epoxied within
the sheet to make the whole assembly field worthy under any
conditions.  Windscreen not shown but is based on a small foam ball
cut in half.

This new design is as simple as I could make it.
Photos taken before epoxy seal of all parts and electronics.

Total Part Count and expense very low.
One 11" x 9" x 5/8" plexiglass salvage piece.
2 radio shack mic elements 270-090C.
1 9 volt battery.
1 battery clip with nut and bolt.
2 1k 1/4 watt resisters
1 35 uf @ 16 volt electrolytic capacitor.
1 stereo female 3.5 mm jack
1 tube epoxy, clear, 5'set 15'dry
4' wire for wirewound connections.
6" electrical tape

Note: I did not use any in-line capacitors as this was setup for a
Sony MD and those parts are in the preamp so could be left out. The
wire diagram for the mic capsules are on the back of the package for
the mic element so I figure you can solve the rest as long as you
know that each channel should have its own resister.

Photo at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/ClearChannels.JPG
Car drive by stereo sound check at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/clearchannels.mp3