Re: Portadisc

Subject: Re: Portadisc
From: Jeremy Minns <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:23:16 -0300
> > It's strange that the software seems rather unpredictable.
>
>Like all software, it's very predictable, just does exactly what the
>programmer wrote. Which may not be what you think he should have written.

Maybe the Portadisc software is predictable but it's execution is not, on
my machine at any rate. To wrap round from TRK001 to the last track
recorded, the number of times I need to press AMS<< is variable so I cannot
do this without looking at the display - a nuisance in the field. Also,
when playing back, the recorded time for a track is not always correct; in
this case I have to move forward a track in play and then back again to get
the right time. Sometimes even this does not work and I have to press stop
and then find the track all over again. Finally, while entering recordings
into my data base last week, I noted the correct recorded date and time for
a track (08:10 on 19/09/03) and then moved on to the next track. The date
and time shown in play pause for this track were quite wrong (05:14 on
26/09/03). This same incorrect date and time was thereafter shown for all
tracks, including the one that was right before. Pressing stop and then
play pause again didn't help. Neither did switching the recorder off and
on. Neither did initializing the recorder. If I put in a different disc the
correct recorded date and time are shown for each track but if I put the
first disc back the incorrect date and time are again shown for all tracks.

One other point. In stop mode the time is shown in hh:mm:ss format but in
play pause as mm:ss/30. Why '/30'? Probably obvious but I can't think of a
reason.

I'm happy to say that I'm delighted with the quality of the Portadisc's
recordings, which is the most important thing.

Jeremy

PS After I finished writing the above, the machine did it again! After
showing the right date (07 and 08/10/03) and time for 54 successive tracks
it is now showing 15:50/30 on 22/09/03 for all tracks on the disc. And
nothing I do will make it change.

PPS Finally, after switching it off and on several times, it has shown the
right date and time for a track!!!

PPS And now it is showing this date and time for all the tracks!!! I give up.