Re: Fall Calls

Subject: Re: Fall Calls
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 08:30:48 -0700
At 05:39 PM 10/6/2003, you wrote:
>does anyone care or is anyone collecting those thin incomplete fall
>calls that migratory birds make?
>
>They may be HY related or just a partial weak call of the spring.
>But they are the same from year to year and don't quite make it to
>being a true whisper call.

Some of it is HY (Hatch Year) birds, and some of it is the fact that many
birds' gonads go through a mini spring swelling in the early fall that
produces a brief flush of mating behaviors - most of them truncated to some
extent. The Red-wing Blackbirds' HY males around my place are starting to
sing an approximation of the adult song and the HY White-crowned Sparrows
are doing the same.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA