Re: Marantz 670

Subject: Re: Marantz 670
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:42:37 -0000
"acontrol2002" wrote:
> Has anyone purchased/used the Marantz 670?

I received mine last week.  I have not taken it into the field as
yet, but I am satisfied with some test recordings I made in the
neighborhood.  Write to me privately if you have a specific question.

The 670 looks like a tour group leader's dream machine, where
playback is as important as recording new material. The file system
of the 670 stores up to 999 files.  The files can be a mix of MP2,
MP3 and WAV formats.  The machine will play any of them back without
changing configuration.

An individual file can be found very quickly by holding down the Next
or Previous Track button.  In a test set of 100 MP3s, I could locate
and begin playback of any track in at most 10 seconds, and usually
faster.

When it's time to record, just press stop and then press record. The
new cut is automatically placed at the end of the file list,
regardless of what file you were just playing. So no files can be
accidentally written over.

With batteries, carrying strap and Compactflash card installed, the
670 weighs 1.28kg/45oz.  So it's easy to carry around.

My only disappointment is in the machine's appearance.  It's plastic
with a capital P.  On the other hand, the chassis seems sturdy. The
switches, buttons and control knobs appear to be the same as the
original PMD-680/690 machines. These proved to be functional in the
field, and durable to survive several seasons of use by ENG staff.=20
Only time will tell if the 670 is as rugged.

--oryoki