Ground effect recording

Subject: Ground effect recording
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:58:51 -0000
subject was: RFI:Microphone for recording 360  degrees of sound

Our posts on not putting your mic on the ground was related to 360
degree ambient recordings.  That should not have been interpreted to
mean don't ever put your mic on the ground.

Further examples of when to use ground recording would be appreciated
but here are a couple examples of when to use a mic on the ground.

1. The grouse recording I posted within the last month was recorded
on the ground.  Setup was made as close to where the bird was
displaying and I was confident my recording would be made of these
very low frequencies at a close distance.  By putting the mic on the
ground I improved the overall signal to noise ratio.

2. The mud flats recording I also posted within the last month was
made with the mic about 4" off the mud.  This was a pot hole where
the targets were suppose to be standing in the mud.  Once again set
to reduce ambient noise and pick up those targets in the mud.  The
first UFO talked about in this post was best guessed as a Mallard
Duck in glide over the flats.  The second UFO was likely a sonic boom
and still could have been those aliens kicking in the warp drive.

3. Ground hillside or bank recordings.  The ground can be used to
make an omni mic directional or simply to minimize background noise
off in one direction.

4. Maximize bass frequencies within a sound?  I don't have a good
example yet but could see it working in theory.

5. Give an illusion of a 10' cricket or 4' mosquito.  I have some
great 6' killer flys that sound like they carry their prey off at the
speed of light.

6. Others?

Rich Peet

--- In  Walter Knapp <>