Re: Ground effect recording

Subject: Re: Ground effect recording
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 18:00:50 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:
> subject was: RFI:Microphone for recording 360  degrees of sound
>
> Our posts on not putting your mic on the ground was related to 360
> degree ambient recordings.  That should not have been interpreted to
> mean don't ever put your mic on the ground.
>
> Further examples of when to use ground recording would be appreciated
> but here are a couple examples of when to use a mic on the ground.
>
> snip

Certainly the use of a mic close to or at the ground is another trick
for specific recordings. Where we are aware of what will happen and want
that. It's just not something you would do for general recordings.

Note that not just 360 degree recordings, but any recording of something
at a distance will probably not be a good one to have the mic at the
ground.