wind battles

Subject: wind battles
From: mr Lemur <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
I seem to have a constant battle (as I am sure all of us do) with the wind.=
  Although I have been very fortunate in accumilating disks and disks full =
of field recordings, I have also lost many really great sounds due to the w=
ind.  I will give a more extreme example I have dealt with over and over ag=
ain.

Although this is very accessible for me, the ocean is one thing I would rea=
lly like to capture.  The problem is that wind inevitably partakes in every=
 ocean surrounding... there never seems to be a clear day where you can get=
 away with throwing your portadisc down and catch a huge segment with no in=
terferance.  Wind usually winds up inviting bad distortions etc.  I have tr=
ied a couple of techniques which work, but they always severely tamper with=
 the integrity of the recording.

1) prop something, or perch up behind a rock to block the wind and knock th=
e mic down to 90 degree angle.  The problem I find is that the sound usuall=
y comes out lopsided where one side sounds decent and the other is strange =
almost tube like sounding.

2) find a cave and wait for the tide to drop and track in there.  Although =
it sounds cool and I can use it for something else, it still doesn't really=
 represent the ocean and proposes a huge tube effect.

I am aware that the ocean carries the lagest frequency range on this planet=
 spanning out of human hearing both high and low!  With a minidisc and it's=
 limitations (including frequency range cuts on both high and low end where=
 a lot of the power and umph is) I am not expecting it to sound as majestic=
 as it really is in real life, but at least a decent representation would b=
e great!

I have had issues in many other places as well including hill sides, valley=
s, canyons, storms... you name it.=20

Is there a way to capture the wind so it compliments the tracking and not d=
estroy it?

Thanks and take care!

Greg=20=20=20